Where can I buy glasses like the ones in a craft cocktail bar?

My friends think I have a strange obsession with used clothes. Whenever we pass by a Goodwill or Salvation Army, I stop the car and run in. If it’s a store I haven’t been to before, I add it to my mental map of thrift stores in the area. But I don’t (usually) frequent these shops for their collections of faded shirts and that charming “funk” smell. I’m usually looking for cocktail glasses.

You see, after searching for some time, I found out that finding the right glassware for cocktails can be a real pain in the butt.

This about.com article lists the standard cocktails glass styles and sizes. They tend to toward the small (3-4 oz martini glass, 5-6 oz old-fashioned/rocks glass, 8 oz highball). Good cocktails are strong, so they usually come in small quantities, which better suit small glasses. Unforunately, most stores only carry larger sizes.

Places to buy glasses online

Industry-standard glassware maker Libbey makes all the glass sizes you could want, and for reasonable prices – but only if you’re in the market for a case of 36 glassesaverage cost: $1/glass

Depending on what your specific needs are, I have found a few places online where you can get all the glasses you need, though most of these options aren’t nearly as cheap as the local Goodwill.

• Libbey glasses, available in increments from 4 to 24. average cost: $6/glass (for a 4-pack)
  • On Amazon, the only decent glasses I found that could be shipped in small amounts are the Schott Zwiesel series. The nice thing is these look like top-notch products and can be shipped prime. Available in packs of 6. Here are direct links to a highball, an 11 oz old-fashioned, and a 5.1-oz old-fashioned. average cost: $7/glass

Old-style coupe glasses have been the hardest to find online. Libbey does make them, but you have to buy them in bulk. I’ve found two options for smaller packs of glasses:

• The Boston Shaker sells brand new 5.5 oz Libbey coupes for $7.50/glass
  • Replacements, LTD specializes in replacing broken glassware from sets. They have a huge selection of classic glassware. I picked up 6 Libbey embassy coupe glasses for about $4/glass, but since I last posted about glassware on egullet, it looks like that particular glass is sold out on the website. Try searching for “tall sherbet” and then run through some of the filters on the left side to find the glass you want. Glasses cost anywhere from $2 to quite a lot each.

Where do you buy your cocktail glassware?

17 Comments

1. Jimmy July 6, 2012 at 12:12 am #

Great post Kevin! I really like the link to Schott Zwiesel series on Amazon. I’ll probably get their highballs after I settle down in Boston.

Martini glass and cocktail/Champagne coupes are definitely the more difficult items to buy. Martini glasses often come over-sized. They can go from 10 oz. to even 14 oz.! Preposterous! I have settled on the Riedel Vinum Martini Glasses (http://www.amazon.com/Riedel-Vinum-Martini-Glass-Set/dp/B000W06570/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1341532909&sr=1-4&keywords=riedel+martini). They’re a little expensive at about $42 for a set of two, but I got mine on sale for $26 for a set of two. At 4-5/8 oz. capacity, they are the perfect size. The quality of the glass is also superb.

For my plain Champagne coupes, I have gone with the Stork Club Champagne coupes (http://www.amazon.com/Stork-Club-Champagne-Coupe-Set/dp/B0047W4NLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341531588&sr=8-1&keywords=stork+club+champagne+coupe). They are $12/glass, but sells in sets of 2, unlike Libbey, which sells in bulk. They are very standard coupe glasses with solid construction and the appropriate capacity of 5.5 oz.

For more fancy cocktail glasses, I like to search on eBay. Once in a while, you can find great vintage glassware for pretty cheap. I got some nice Fostoria coupe glasses for only about $6 each. Sometimes, if you find a set, they could go for even cheaper. As always, I would have to be careful in looking for the capacity. 5-6 oz. is a good size. Anything larger than that is too large. Anything smaller than 4.5 oz. might be too small.

2. Frederic July 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Tack on antique stores. Through word of mouth as well as trial and error, you begin to hear which ones have vendors that sell cocktail glasses (many of the stores around here rent out case or areas of the store to dozens of people). Great deals can be had and many of them are the older sized glasses (3-6 oz cocktail glasses).

Otherwise, the Boston Shaker store is down the block and a few Good Will stores are on my rotation (Good Will seems to be the best place to find Libbey glassware).

3. Chris Harrison July 26, 2012 at 4:05 am #

Hey Kevin – really loving the website.

I’ve found these which I think are what you’re looking for:

Highball: http://www.fishseddy.com/browse.cfm/4,219,1,0,0.html
    Rocks: http://www.fishseddy.com/browse.cfm/4,2902,1,0,0.html
    Champagne Coupe: http://www.fishseddy.com/browse.cfm/4,2071,1,0,0.html
    Martini (sic): http://www.fishseddy.com/browse.cfm/4,966,1,0,0.html

I just ordered quite a few so I can’t comment on the quality quite yet but they seem pretty standard.

Cheers!

- Chris

• Kevin July 30, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

Got my highball glasses today! They were shipped fast, nice packing job, and they were exactly what I was looking for. Very nice quality glasses with a heavy base. Thanks again for the tip, Chris.

I’m so happy that after a year of searching, I’ve finally found these babies.

4. Kevin July 26, 2012 at 11:25 am #

Thanks for all the awesome recommendations, guys.

@Chris – fishs eddy is awesome I just snatched up 4 of these 8 oz highball glasses for $20 shipped, so $5/glass. Thanks for the tip!

5. Bill July 27, 2012 at 12:34 am #

I use the Schott Zwiesel basic bar collection. Their cocktail cup is “only” 8 oz, which is much more reasonable than those giant 16 oz martini buckets you see some places. Even so, they’re a little bit large compared to the ones you have listed. Definitely some noticeable head space unless you’re making doubles.

• Kevin July 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

@Bill,

Thanks for the feedback on the 8 oz Schott Zwiesel’s. Do you use them for tall/built drinks?

• Bill September 5, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

Kevin,

Oh, wow; for some reason I never checked back for a reply. Sorry. :(

My bar is just getting started, so right now I only have two kinds of glassware: cocktail cups and whiskey tumblers. If it’s a martini, manhattan, or shaken drink, I’ll stick it in a cocktail cup. If it takes ice or gets built in the glass, I’ll put it in a tumbler. Eventually I need to pick up some highballs, because serving a mojito in a whiskey bucket is kind of ridiculous.

6. erik reichborn November 27, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

I own a bar in san francisco, and we get a lot of our tools from cocktail kingdom.com. They sell glassware that is really nice

• Kevin November 27, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

thanks, Erik!

7. Derrick Schommer March 23, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Kevin,

Thanks for including AwesomeDrinks in your coverage, we had someone come in and purchase some Classy Coupe glasses from our store and, as far as I can tell, you were the referrer on the suggestion.

We appreciate it. If you’re interested, send me over an e-mail, I’ll send you a 20% off coupon code for the store for helping us find a new customer.

8. Michael Edwards June 26, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

From what I can see, the Webstaurant Store (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/libbey-601404-speakeasy-6-5-oz-martini-glass-12-cs/551601404.html) sells the Libbey’s for about $36/case of 12. So, about $3/each – that may have changed from what they were doing when this was first posted.

9. Lorri August 20, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

Thanks for the tip on Awesome Drinks – I just ordered the cocktail coupes and was pleasantly surprised to find that they had the Mole and Habanero bitters that I have been looking for for quite a while!

10. Kevin August 20, 2013 at 9:58 pm #

Sounds great Lorri, thanks for sharing :-)

• Frankie April 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm #

I’m glad to see the joy of barware across the great land…yet I must tell you that in order to get the lowest prices an all around great service you should be at Barproducts.com no one can beat their prices nor will you want to go else where.

Keep the quality high and your customers safe.

11. Raquel June 25, 2014 at 9:09 pm #

This is a great blog & great comments!! I am having such a hard time finding these glasses IN CANADA. I have tried all the sites mentioned and while some do ship to Canada, it’s a real hefty shipping rate. :( Does anyone know where I can get these shipped in Canada? I am in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks!

shared on wplocker.com